The former Brickmakers Arms Seckford Street, Woodbridge
Guide Price £850,000
4 bedroom detached house for sale
The Brickmakers Arms is situated within a minutes’ walk of Market Hill in the Centre of Woodbridge with its origins dating back to 1780.
The “1840 Tithe Apportionment” records a brick kiln in a field behind what is now Waitrose on the Woodbridge bypass. From there, rather romantically the Brickmakers would walk down Collet’s Walk and quench their thirst in the Brickmakers Arms.
The last publicans were two sisters who ran the Brickmakers Arms jointly. When they disagreed, the pub was divided into two separate bars eventually closing in 1908.
It was subsequently sold and converted into a large detached family house.
Today the Brickmakers Arms is an exceptionally well-appointed Grade II listed detached four-bedroom, property that retains much of the original character of the pub. The side alley for example was used by horse drawn drays to deliver beer; Barrels would be rolled down into what now forms the Utility room.
The house was first extended in 1837. A single storey extension was built in 2007 to create a breath-taking kitchen and a remarkable living space over three floors. Recently it has been restored to a meticulous standard: “tanked” dampproofed, joist and floors replaced, staircases refurbished, and a modern new kitchen added.
With solid wood floors downstairs, beams, and sash windows the well-lit accommodation comprises a traditional entrance hallway, open plan sitting/dining room with a fitted wood burning stove and a study.
The impressive kitchen/dining room benefits from a vaulted ceiling with exposed timbers, fitted a range of modern wooden base and wall mounted units, instant hot water tap, and a large island unit with views across the landscaped rear garden and patio area.
Adjacent is a downstairs bedroom/reception room which is sub-divided to provide a well-proportioned room with French doors out onto the patio. (There much potential to expand this area, change the use, and create more open plan space if required.)
The utility room (which was used to store the barrels of beer originally) gives access to an additional cloakroom, shower room and pantry.
The first floor has three bedrooms including master with ensuite and a family bathroom. The front two bedrooms have an elevated view of the Grade II listed Seckford Alms Houses 1587 (rebuilt 1869 by James Noble) The master bedroom is pre-plumbed for an en-suite to include a shower room sink and wc.
The landscaped rear garden is mainly laid to lawn with mature trees and shrubs. It is enclosed by a mixture of brick walls and panel fencing.
A patio runs along the rear of the property and is south facing perfect for al fresco dining. The garden has three sheds and BBQ area. There is also hard standing for three additional cars on hard standing in front of the garage.
The large double garage has mains water, drainage, power and lights. There is an adjacent external turret modelled on the spiral staircase in Norwich Cathedral that leads to the attic room above which is ideal for post Covid 19 homeworking.
The Garage has an electrically operated door as well as two pedestrian doors and rear patio and is topped by a “car” weathervane reflecting the previous owners love of Bentleys. The garage is accessed via Bridgewood Road and there is three private guest parking spaces (potentially five in total)
As agents, we recommend the earliest possible enquiry where we can release our 3D video walk-through viewing, to appreciate the exceptional standard and value of accommodation on offer.
Location: The property is tucked away from the Market Square in a traditionally popular and sought after location on Seckford Street, within striking distance of Market Hill. Fen Meadow at a striking distance.
Town: Lying on the banks of the River Deben the historic market town of Woodbridge is thriving with excellent local facilities including bars, cafes, pubs and restaurants. There is a Riverside Cinema, A top quality Leisure Centre, and Marina. In addition the town has an attractive range of shops and boutiques. The river offers water sports opportunities, together with golf, tennis, rugby and football clubs close by. The picturesque Suffolk Heritage Coastal area is on hand.
Education: There is a wide selection of Ofsted rated state and private schools for all age groups in both Melton and Woodbridge.
Access: The A12 is easily accessed, linking to the county town of Ipswich (10 miles) to Colchester, Chelmsford and beyond. Stansted Airport is accessed (via the A120), Cambridge and The Midlands (via the A14).
Transport: Woodbridge Railway Station is on the Ipswich to Lowestoft East Suffolk Line which provides excellent rail links: Liverpool Street Station has a journey time from Ipswich of approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. Greater Anglia have announced the launch of a direct rail services running to London Liverpool Station.
Local Authority: East Suffolk Council
Council Tax Band: At the time of instruction the council tax band for this property is Band E.
Money Laundering Regulations: Intending purchasers will be asked to produce identification documentation at a later stage and we would ask for your co-operation in order that there will be no delay in agreeing the sale.
1. While Potter's Estate Agents endeavour to make our sales particulars fair, accurate and reliable they are only a general guide to the property and accordingly. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you please contact the office and we will be happy to check the position for you, especially if you are contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
2. The measurements indicated are supplied for guidance only and cannot guarantee the accuracy of any description, dimensions, references to conditions, necessary permissions for use and occupancy and other details contained herein. The prospective purchasers or tenants must not rely on them as statements of fact or representations and must satisfy themselves as to their accuracy.
3. Potter's Estate Agents doesn't have any authority to make or give any representation or warranty or enter into any contract whatever in relation to the property.
4. Services: Please note we have not tested the services or any of the equipment or appliances in this property. We strongly advise prospective buyers to commission their own survey or service reports before finalising their offer to purchase.
5. Potter's Estate Agents will not be liable in negligence or otherwise, for any loss arising from the use of these particulars that have not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures and fittings so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for the purpose. A buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor.
6. Photographs will only show certain parts of the property and assumptions should not be made in respect of those parts of the property that have not been photographed. (Items or contents shown in the photographs are not included as part of the sale unless specified otherwise. It should not be assumed the property will remain as shown in the photograph. Photographs are taken using a wide-angle lens.
- Close To Local Amenities
- Master With En-suite
- One Of The Most Desirable Streets In Woodbridge
- Large Period Detached House
- Open Plan Living
- Immaculately Presented
- Four Double Bedrooms
- South Facing Landscaped Gardens
- Double Garage With Studio
- Off Road Parking
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of these details, it should be noted that the measurements are approximate only. Floorplans are for representation purposes only and prepared according to the RICS Code of Measuring Practice by our floorplan provider. Therefore, the layout of doors, windows and rooms are approximate and should be regarded as such by any prospective purchaser. Any internal photographs are intended as a guide only and it should not be assumed that any of the furniture/fittings are included in any sale. Where shown, details of lease, ground rent and service charge are provided by the vendor and their accuracy cannot be guaranteed, as the information may not have been verified and further checks should be made either through your solicitor/conveyance. Where appliances, including central heating, are mentioned, it cannot be assumed that they are in working order, as they have not been tested. Please also note that wiring, plumbing and drains have not been checked.